Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Candidates for the German Language Society Elections, 09/10

Candidates for the German Language Society Elections, 09/10

The available positions for EXCO are:
Vice President, Editor, Project Director 1, Project Director 2, Marketing Director

Name: Tan Xi’en Rachel
Matric Number: U073243J
Biodata: NUS Year 3 (FASS)
Major: European Studies
Minor: Political Science
Langauges: German 6, French 2
Exchange: Heidelberg, Germany
Two Posts: Vice President and Project Director

Reasons for running: Ich liebe die deutsche Sprache. Nachdem ich zurueck von Deutschland gekommen bin, habe ich mich entschlossen, dass ich etwas mit Detusch machen muss. Vielleicht kann ich auch etwas beitraegen und meine Erfahnrungen in Deutschland teilen. Ich hoffe, dass wir die Gelegenheit in NUS mehr Deutsch sprechen koennen. Dann wuerden wir Deutsch richtig ueben, und gleichzeitig haetten wir ein besseres Verstaendnis von Deutschland und seine Kultur.

I love the german language. After I came back from Germany, i decided that I had to continue to do something with German. I hope that I can contribute to the society by sharing my experiences in Germany and also create more oppotunities for the german students in NUS to speak and practice German. We would then come to a better understanding of Germany and its culture.

Thank you.


















Name: HE YAJIE

FACULTY: REAL ESTATE Year 2

Matric no. : U086854L

Email address: u0806854@nus.edu.sg or yajiesmile@hotmail.com

German Proficiency: Now taking German 3, have been to Germany last summer holiday for immersion programme, can speak some decent German!

Desired Post:
1, Marketing Director
2, Project Director

Personal portfolio:
I am a person with great enthusiasm in German language and culture. That makes me a good candidate in these posts since that would drive me to work harder. As a German Immersion Award recipient last semester, I went to Technology University of Darmstadt in German last summer holiday, and from this experience I have gained more knowledge about German culture and language. My continuous pursuit in German language studies makes me more capable in publicizing our society’s activities and linking up with German associations.

Being a member in NUS Entrepreneur (NES) Human Resource Management Committee, I have organized several events like Silicon Valley Leadership Trip, Chinese New Year Celebration and Inter-department Bonding event. My experience on organizing events would assist me to do a better job if I win the election.

Additionally, I am a sociable and easy-going person with wide social network. I have friends from different countries and different backgrounds and even social classes. One of my best friends is a committee member in NTU German Society; that helps in the event we need to work together with NTU.

I will try my best to contribute to this FAMILY! Do not hesitate to donate your vote! Thank you!



Full name: Wong Wei Ting
Faculty/Year: Business School/Year 2 going on Year 3
Roles interested in:
1) Vice President
2) Marketing Director
3) Project Director







Name : Liow Charlotte

Matric Number : U091862L

Faculty : Arts and Social Science

Major : most probably economics :)


Position running for : 1)Editor 2) Project Director


I am a Year One, FASS student and I am currently taking German 1 this semester. I am a person who always thrives for new challenges and seeking for new experiences. I have never been an Editor before but I am always willing to learn and I will give in my 120% effort in everything I do. I secretly seek for perfection in everything I do and that drives me to perform well in jobs that I have been assigned to.


I have experiences in doing adminstrative work and also designing. I have basic knowledge of Photoshop and necessary IT skills too :). Besides that, I also have experiences in organising events back in my school. Events that I organised before at the school level were, Career Fair and Anti Drugs and AIDS campaign for 3 years in a row.


A little more about myself.
I am a very friendly and bubbly person. I enjoy reading during my free time and yes, I am quite a mugger as well but rest assure, I will do my job perfectly fine. I enjoy going for camping trips and I seek for adventure too in life. I hope to go backpacking around Europe one of these years in University :D
Cheers!


Name: Chong Anna
Matric no.: U086610J
Position applying for: 1) Editor 2) Vice President
Faculty: School of Design and Environment
Year: 2
Photobucket









Name: Vasu Gulati
Matriculation Number: U083973H
Year: NUS Year 2
Major: Electrical Engineering
Minor: Communications and New Media
Language Proficiency: English, German 1
Interested in the post of 1) Marketing Director 2) Project Director

Photobucket

I feel that my greatest strengths lie in my communication, interaction and interpersonal skills. When asked about my penultimate goal in life, my usual answer is “I want to meet and interact with as many people as possible, exchange knowledge and promote one’s ideas to gain a better insight to life”.

I have just finished a two month internship with tenCube (an NUS start up) where I was involved in marketing cum business development. I was given the opportunity to interact and negotiate with big name companies from all over the world in order to promote their product and find new business avenues. Through my internship and my involvement in synQ (NUS Deejays group) I have met a lot of different, interesting and even tough to handle people. Since both activities revolved around providing some sort of service to people, I have gained a better understanding of what people want and what people need. Hence, if I were to become the Marketing Director I would feel quite confident in liaising with other societies and organisations.

As the Marketing Director, I would like to promote our society and take it to a higher level. For example, not all students who wanted to learn German got into the course. By taking the publicity levels of our events to a higher level, I would like such individuals to come down and interact with us, be a part of the ‘German Culture’ of NUS even though they might not be able to converse in German. This idea stems from the fact that the word of mouth has limited effectiveness. These interested students need not become members hence need not be given CCA points. Thus, we shall only attract people who are passionate about learning German.

This is just one of the ideas that I have as of yet. I am still contemplating over suggesting changes to our Stammtisch – for example having more of a musical aspect to it rather than plain board games (and maybe negotiating with Munchie Monkey to provide two free drinks rather than just one).






Name: Lam Pey Hua @ Beatrice

Matric Number : U085856N

Biodata: NUS Year 2 (Science)

Major: Applied Math

Minor: Business (May be)

Languages: Mandarin, Malay, Cantonese, Hokkien, German(1)

Desired Position: 1) Project Director or 2) Marketing director

I love German Language when I first met it in my studies of piano music theory. As we know, those terms like ‘Zart’ (soft) ‘Traurig’(sad) is used by the composer when they wrote the piano score. I have played a song named Aufschwung by Robert Schumann, a very well known German composer for my piano performance certificate exam, and its took me some times to do some research and interpret it in order to present it in the examination hall. In order to fulfill my dream to learn German, I have bided this lag1201 with 800 points from general account and even give up others CCA which clashes with my lecture slots :’(

One year back, I have visited Europe country during the vacation and I simply love the environment and culture there. By joining this German language society and becoming a Project Manager may helps me to know more about Germany. I hope to organize program (stammtisch, cooking, singing and even dancing) in order to experience their culture.

I have experienced in organizing event during secondary school and JC by organized charity event to help the poor one in school, finding sponsor for them, and even organizing school trip to Cameron Highlands. Besides that, I am a Drama Club advisor in school, I have learned how to organize stage performance and concerts too. I am here to ensure that those CCA that I done before will surely help me to master the position as a Project Director as well as Marketing Director.

Moreover, I am a responsible person who can give in 100% whenever I have been given a job. I am nice and friendly too. Frankly, I join German Language Society is partly because of CCA points (this guarantee I can do my job well…), but yet I hope through this society we can learn and understand more about German. We grow and exchange experience through this precious society and brings the culture of Germany “ON” in NUS.
Photobucket



Full name: Wong Wei Ting
Faculty/Year: Business School/Year 3
Roles interested in: Vice President

My journey with German language started 8 years ago when I was given the chance to participate in the Language Elective Programme (LEP) in secondary school. My passion for the language was fuelled as I learnt more about the history and culture of Germany. As I spent the first half of 2009 in Germany for Student Exchange Programme and subsequently for an internship, I got to experience much of Germany - people, language, history and culture, something which I wish to share with fellow German enthusiasts in Singapore. All these have spurred me on to run for the position of Vice President. As a Business student, organising, planning and managing many projects are part and parcel of my curriculum. Previous leadership positions as Secretary of DDS, Head of fellowship committee, etc have also prepared me well and makes me a suitable candidate for this position. Besides these, I am a very easygoing and sociable person who enjoys meeting people to exchange cultures and experiences. Together with my passion to share knowledge and German culture with fellow members, I believe that DDS will be more than a platform for German language learners.


Name: Martina Ann Mei Qiang
Matric. No: U082650R
FASS, Year 2 Sociology Major
Posts running for: Vice President/Project Director


I've had an interest in the German Language and culture ever since I was a child, and I immediately regretted it when I turned down a chance to take up German as a third language in Secondary school. I thus jumped at the chance to learn German in University. Ever since enrolling in the Language Preparation Programme, I've not looked back and have been greatly enjoying learning German and am greatly looking forward to my exchange programme in Germany next year. Apart from this interest and enthusiasm in German and the German culture, I've also had substantial experience in holding leadership positions in various groups and committees, as well as organizing events ever since secondary school. As such, I believe that I will be able to efficiently and effectively take on a role in the German Society Committee, and will carry out any duties entrusted to me with the best of my ability. I also greatly enjoy working with people, and I believe that being in the EXCO will be a great chance for me too serve the society, helping it grow and improve, and also for all of us to better understand the German culture and better learn the language.

Photobucket