Thursday, April 02, 2009

Candidates for the German Language Society Elections

Candidates for the German Language Society Elections

Please submit your details to frag.mal.uns@gmail.com if you are standing for election. Thank you!

1.Name: Pau Xi Ling
2. Matric Number: U073969H
3. Year: 2
4. German level: 2
5. Position interested: 1st choice Treasurer, 2nd choice General Secretary
6. Personal bio: I'm a 2nd year Chemistry major at the Faculty of Science and have a great passion for the Arts (Performing and Literary). I'm a avid fan of classical music (especially deutsche Lieder) and poetry, and that was the reason why I took up German in university. When I'm not working in laboratories, I like to sing and accompany myself on the piano, discover German/English poems (especially those set to music by classical composers), blog about music, attend concerts, and immerse myself in the beauty of nature.
7. What I can contribute to the society: Introduce ways to expand membership, as well as new activities to facilitate interaction between exchange students and local German language learners.



1.Name: Shawn Seah
2. Matric Number: U0601442H
3. Year: 3, coming on year 4
4. German level: 6
5. Position interested: 1st choice President, 2nd choice Vice President
6. Personal bio:
Hello! I am Shawn and I studied German 5 and 6 at NUS, a long time ago. I am from FASS, studying Economics. I like German as I studied it at O levels and fell in love with it, and till today I watch TV Total and listen to Nena and Oli P's music. My favourites on youtube last semester were "The Next Uri Geller" and "Die Besten Mentalisten der Welt".
I am also interested in history (especially modern European history and European intellectual history), philosophy, blogging, football, bowling, badminton and chess.
7. What I can contribute to the society:
I have a two-pronged vision for our society - that at the same time it can become a mass membership organisation (that means more than 50 people), while at the micro level people also contribute freely and participate in things that they love.
For example, I will encourage many to come for German movie screenings and Stammtisch, our main activities; also I will invite interested students for a tour of the library for the best German literature and share youtube videos (zum Beispiel, Morta Della - total lustig). Thank you for reading! -Shawn.



Chen Wei'an
Fac: Engineering
Interests: Reading (when i'm free of any scholastic obligations,i.e. in the holidays.) Some sports, youtube-ing
Post: 1) General Secretary 2) Vice President
I THINK that I'm a very approachable person. I feel I thrive well with team activities, and I can be a team player. Why did I chose General Secretary? Other than the fact that the 'General' scope is so vague and I figured I am the man for the job, generally, and I have past experiences with being in a committee in sec school/Junior college which could prove useful. And I love to meet new people, and I like to make people laugh which is a plus point.

Name: LIM Yin Long
Matric: U064583J
Level of german: level 1 in NUS + 2 beginner level in Germany
Fac: BIZ
Interests and what post you want: Vice President, President

About myself: I am the Project Director of German Language Society now. After my SEP in Germany, I realized how unwilling I am to break the linkage with that wonderful land. To make myself closer with Germany, the interesting culture, language and people, I joined the EXCO last semester. However, I am quite disappointed especially for the low turnout rate for most of the events. I thought a lot of students are actually interested in learning about German culture, that's why they are taking or took German. Well, I am ambitious and hope that I can really do something to promote the German culture among the NUS students. A lot of stuff have to be done, include building up a closer relationship with German-related organizations, organizing information sharing session/exhibitions.

Back to the topic, I'm responsible, initiative and willing to commit. I believe these are also essential for a leader. =)